Beyond Sunday morning worship, we live out our faith through a variety of active ministries. We always encourage new people to become involved so be sure and let us know if an area strikes your fancy and we can provide more information.
Newborns to graduating high schoolers, our church provides a dynamic Church School program with an active enrollment of children and youth. Taught by members of the congregation, our church school teaches the basic values and stories of our faith and encourages a questioning attitude on the part of students. The goals of the program are to help children claim the Christian faith as their own and instill in them the truth that they are valued by God and the community.
Under the leadership of our Deacons of Youth Ministry our church has two youth groups for Middle School and High School aged youth. Recreation, service and faith development hallmark this important ministry.
- Our multi-generational Choir rehearses on Thursday nights (September thru June) from 7pm until 9pm, and again from 9am until 9:30am on Sunday mornings before Worship. The Choir sings on Sunday mornings in the worship service. Contact: Mariko Matsumura, Interim Music Director
- The Praise Band comprises young people from Middle School to Retirement. They rehearse every Sunday afternoon after Worship and play contemporary Christian music during worship once a month. Both singers and instrumentalists are encouraged to participate. Contact: Bob and Lisa Jamison
- Treblemakers is a choir of children ages three to third grade. They rehearse and sing in worship four times during the program year. Contact: Beth Hampson, Laura Pollica, Jaime McAllister-Grande
- Jubilate Ringers handbell choir rehearses Wednesday evenings (September thru June) from 7:15pm until 9:15pm. They play one Sunday each month, as well as additional special programs in the church and in the community. Contact: Jim Oosterman
- Music may be given in memory of a loved one or in honor of a special occasion. See any of our Music Directors if you would like to consider such a donation. Contact: Mariko Matsumura, Interim Music Director
- Instrumentalists (volunteer & paid) are occasionally engaged to enhance the worship experience. If you or someone you know might be interested in playing or funding such an occasion contact Mariko Matsumura, Interim Music Director.
First Church supports two local food banks, A Servant's Heart and Pantry of Hope, as well as financing and serving one meal a month at Bread of Life in Malden. We are active members of the Metro North cluster of Refugee Immigration Ministry (RIM), which supports individuals and families who are seeking asylum. Our Church School supports Heifer Project. In addition, through the United Church of Christ we work for social justice, provide disaster relief, and educational opportunities both in this country and abroad.
Our multi-purpose church facility is used daily by community groups to help meet the social needs of Melrosians. This includes various addiction and abuse recovery groups, the boy scouts, cub scouts, girl scouts, and a racial justice group, to name a few. The Day Care Center is by far our largest weekday ministry.
Melrose Day Care Center
Founded by the church and now a separate corporation, the Melrose Day Care Center provides child services to children who are newborns through age four. Along with a large playground, the center has a great reputation and many innovative programs. For more information, please visit their website at www.melrosedaycarecenter.com.